Tuesday, December 7, 2010

J Is For

J is for just because some of his songs have been running through my head


Jim Croce - another one taken from us way too early - it was always kind of an odd feeling when we would go back to the area of Suburban Philadelphia we lived in prior to moving to York and pass the cemetery where he had been buried in the Frazer area -















I really wanted to use THIS VERSION but they didn't permit embedding so please go watch here - it was a segment from The Midnight Special days - I will admit when I got this 45rpm, I played it over and over and over








Listening to this songs brought back so many memories - both from the first times I'd heard them OR the rediscovering of them in 2005 or so - and given the significance of today's date - Pearl Harbor Day - I am reminded of my personal Pearl Harbor Day that took place six years ago today - I know some would say move on - stop thinking of it - etc etc etc - but given the magnitude of how it changed my life - as the event of 1941 did for our world - I choose to recall it - to be fired terminated let go voted off the island etc from a company I had worked for since December 11 of 1978 can't help but change one - in many ways - and almost of it for the good - it is kind of my day to take stock in my self - my life - and my past present future -

Some know the story - and yes, for a reason as we say - it has turned out to be a good thing - after all, if it hadn't, I wouldn't be posting this for you to read - because I probably wouldn't be here - and I'll let you apply your own interpretation of the world 'here' - nor would Khyra be nearby -

I can still see that afternoon in my mind as if it were happening right now - that is part of the curse of having the kind of memory I do for most things - the positive to the curse is the ability to be able to treasure the good things - like the awesome memories from our Trek to The Tundra - I am still trying to find the words to sufficiently and fittingly say thanks to those that made it happen - but like some of my writings - and obviously my attempts at finding employment - I fall short -

Please know it isn't for the lack of trying -

So tonight, I'll raise a glass - it will be vodka - for that is what we had that afternoon as we attempted to figure out what I would do now that I had been - in the words I can still hear myself say to the friend on the other end of the line 'fucking fired' -

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder about this date.

    A job hasn't found you that's worthy of you yet...it shall come...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Google reader has not been listing all of your WW posts, so I'm catching up. Jim Croce is one of my all time faves. Good choices here. I didn't realize he was a Philly boy. Another date in history when the music died. Sad

    ReplyDelete