
This is/was Friday's beverage - from the most recent Wine Access Monthly shipment - I felt like having something a bit more special since my Saturday night will be abbreviated due to a 5am Sunday wakeup call so I can hit the road before 6am for a transport run from Martinsburg WV to Harrisburg PA. It is what I had hoped it would be! I love Syrah (and the other varieties related to Syrah).
I'm enjoying it from a Chaddsford Winery glass I got when a friend of mine and I stopped for a tasting on the way to visit his mom's gravesite during Christmas 2004.
Since my last post , the Malbec and Sauvignon Blanc I was waiting on have arrived. I had the Malbec on Tuesday; the SB on Thursday. Once again, I'm quite pleased with my purchases.
I broke down and gave in to Pizza Hut's ads for their pan pizza with stuffed crust - soooo that was Friday night's dinner (and the weekend's snacks) - had red onion for my one topping. The time and temp sign in the shopping center said 6:50pm and 70 degrees (F of course)! It was quite a bizarre weather day for most of the morning and early afternoon. Khyra was quite frustrated but in the end, walking triumphed over not walking!
When I drove down to Pizza Hut (six minutes or so), http://www.xpn.org/ was finishing up its Fall Fundraiser Themed Countdown. This year's theme was the ten songs you'd take with you on a desert island. They compiled the top 885 (xpn's main frequency is 88.5 - although for me listening around town is 88.7).
Here is the listing of the songs - pretty interesting and include quite a few of my favourites - in fact, you've seen a fair number of them mentioned 'here' at one time or another! I never submitted any of my own for I just couldn't narrow it down! I will admit I probably would have very few (if any) Beatles songs on my list. I enjoy their music but I'm not a giant fan (same for The Rolling Stones). I tend to think I came just after their big arrival on the scene.
When they announced what #1 was, they shared that back in 2004 when they did their first 'themed' countdown, Thunder Road had finished first then!
Have a nice weekend!
Two birthdays to share:
October 9 would have been John Lennon's 67th birthday - here is a song that has a great deal of meaning to me: Working Class Hero
October 10 is John Prine's 63rd - Hello In There seems like a good one to share; Angel From Montgomery is another. I'm actually including another version of Hello In There - the song really has a meaning we need to take to heart.
October 10 is also Khyra's handsome Big Galoot Summii's Daddii's birthday too! We won't mention how many candles will be on that marble cake but it will be lots of 'em!
Cheers!
Nothing to do to save his life; call his wife in.
ReplyDeleteAll he was saying was, "Give peace a chance".
When a celebrated person passes on, we may pause and reflect for a moment on his or her life and career, but then we move on. We may watch with appreciation the brilliant performance of a long dead James Dean in the film Giant and think not a thing about his absence from our lives. That's not the case in this instance.
`
I sure do miss John Lennon.
`
Before you cross the street
Take my hand
Life is what happens to you
While you're busy making other plans
`
Anyone who was living in Goshen, NY in December 1980 will remember this:
Six days after he died, on Saturday the fourteenth, a worldwide vigil in John's memory was held at 2 PM EST. For ten minutes there was silence - peace - all across the planet earth. I had a couple friends over to observe the event on television. In the village of Goshen, although it had been a clear and sunny day, the moment the vigil began at two o'clock, it began to snow - and not just flurries - for ten solid minutes there was a blinding blizzard. At exactly 2:10, the moment the vigil ended, the snow stopped and the sun came out. His child-like, 1971 anthem, Imagine, drifted through the ether:
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world
It was only at that moment that I felt happy for John Lennon.
http://www.tomdegan.blogspot.com
Tom Degan
Goshen, NY
I think I am not quite old enough to appreciate John Lennon in the same manner.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday Summii's dad! And good luck with your transport tomorrow.