Saturday, June 13, 2009

Four Weeks and Counting...

Tonight's Adult Beverage...
Couldn't snag a pic from the winery's website...
Had to use the flashie beast!

This is a local York County Winery. In fact, it is probably the second local winery I had ever been to for a tasting and tour.
Here is their website as well as a link to winemaker/owner's blog
In the early days, the winery was owned by two brothers that had been classically trained musicians. They were somewhat eccentric characters but very nice people. They lived on the winery's property with their mom. For some years, their 'house' was adjacent to the winemaking area and tasting room. It was three old time single wide trailers that were joined in a spoke-like pattern.
Since they were musicians, many of their wines had a musical theme/name. Their 'claim to fame' was their Opus One wine - a seyval/peach blend currently called Celeste. This WINERY
wanted to use the name so they purchased the rights from The Crouch Brothers. It has always been felt they asked too little for the name - given the money behind the new owners but that's John and Tim! We always hear it went to a new press or de-stemmer or something like that!
When I got married, we had splits of Celeste bottled and custom labeled with a design created by my now former father in law that kept with the theme of our wedding: all things bear. I have a bottle or two out in the garage. Maybe someday I'll bring one in and take a pic...maybe....
As time went on, the brothers' mother passed away - they built a nice wood frame home just on the other side of the winery proper. Sadly, Tim died...then John...but before they passed, they had begun to look for some young blood to help then buy the winery. Kris and Carl is that new blood and the couple you see on the website/blog.
'We' used to spend quite a few Saturday and/or Sundays down there for various events. Both owners used to do a 'Chef Series' on Thursday nights throughout the summer. Local chefs from the area would do a three or four course meal featuring the season's fresh produce/etc paired with Allegro's wines. It was quite a lot of fun for the price!
Since the divorce, I can't bring myself to return to the winery but I have picked up some of their wines at their Wine Gallery located in the south part of where I live - about 20 minutes away. I've sent some of these wines to Kathie in Overland Park, Shelli in Macon, and Jan in Omaha. They really enjoyed them.
I really should get out to more of the local wineries but most of my spare weekend time has been devoted to transports. It is FURRY rewarding as they say! Of course, I'll be doing one this Sunday AND next Sunday.
I guess this is enough babble for now! I hope all of you are having a wonderful weekend!
Cheers,
Phyll


2 comments:

  1. thank you for sending me your poem, it is a good one :)

    i hope more people start posting to.

    hope you have a great day and say his to Khyra for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i meant say "hi" to Khyra, i just spelled it wrong! lol

    ReplyDelete