Friday, June 19, 2009

Summer On The Horizon

This is the official weekend for Summer to greet the Northern Hemisphere. Our weather earlier this week was somewhat unseasonably cool and damp. The cool was fine with me - the damp (as in rainy) did interfere with my Khyra walking. Luckily for both of us, it was just one day.
Since it was sunny and around 28 today (on the rest of the world's scale), I decided a nice white was in order to welcome in Summer albeit a day or two early. I'm not sure I'll be wining and/or posting for Saturday evening. I've got a doggie transport that requires me to hit the road by 6am or so. That translates into getting up at my normal weekday time of 5am which also translates into probably NOT staying up beyond 11pm or so.
As I start this, I've not yet opened the bottle. I'm still getting settled in for the evening. I wanted to pull together the music I wanted to share so I've been doing some collecting of links to include.
Here is the label...


Here is the link to some information for it from my wineaccess.com montly club. I've shared before I prefer SB to Chardonnay. In fact, I prefer many and/or most whites to Chardonnay. Don't get me wrong: I enjoy a good Chardonnay. I just prefer other varietals more!



Now to the music...Jonatha Brooke released an incredible project (last August 26 which is a special date for me) of all Woody Guthrie works called The Works. It included a song called Taste of Danger. I really enjoyed it on her CD...but then she recorded it as a duet with Davey Knowles of Back Door Slam Their version is the bonus track on Coming Up For Air (Dave Knowles new release out this past Tue 6/16). Back Door Slam's first CD was incredible too! So much talent for such young ones!



Can you say freakin' awesome? As I've mentioned before, songs that do THAT to me the first time I hear it go on the 'buy as soon as it comes out' list. It arrived Wednesday so I took it the office and ripped it to my work pc. I also burned a copy for S. Since my roomie's department wasn't working on Friday, I could crank my pc since I was alone in the office. I pulled up the lyrics and sang along multiple times. A friend stopped in, I played it for him, and showed him the gooseflesh it raised.



You should be able to hear it H E R E on her myspace page. She has the version with Davey on her page now. If you can't hear it, please write me and I'll send the track via email.

Ah yes ...


There's an angel on my shoulder
But the devil's at the wheel

and then there is....

It all comes down to thisThere's a million souls out thereDying for a wish, living for a kissSearching for someone to care



And yes, my friend was impressed...and he got to take his copy with him. He was quite taken with their harmonies.

So, now I am back. The sheets have been laundered and the bed remade. The wine has been poured...

OH YES! Nice choice! I'm very happy. I keep wanting to talk myself out of writing this but I keep sniffing and breathing in the nose - and each time I get violets. I do taste the acidity as well as the character from the soil. It is so not a SB from NZ or OZ yet a very good one! I would drink this one again. It is sold out so I don't have the chance....but I'm happy I'm getting to enjoy this one!

It has been a pretty good week which I expect to continue with this Sunday's transport.

Cheers!

Phyll

3 comments:

  1. ain't it grand when life goes well.

    I love SB, more than Chardonnay, although, I would not refuse a glass of Chardonnay!

    We are cooking freshly caught venison steaks tonight, (husband was invited on a shoot - not to my taste.....but hey, the meat he brought home looks so good, and the deer on the estate needed culling, it was over run so feel better about eating it!)

    I digress.........I am opening a bottle of my precious Aussie red which I had sent home after visiting a beautiful Winery when I was with Brooke.

    Six bottles I ordered, and we have drunk two of the fizzy reds, now have four left, two whites, and two reds, which look very inviting.

    going to plunge into the Ausse red from the Chandon Winery in Aus, soon.

    will report back!

    Letty aka Jeannie xxxxxxxxxxxx

    You are a good soul Phyl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh never talk yourself out of writing, it is the bestest therapy ever! take this from one who knows! And with more blooming blogs than you can shake a stick at. Or a wine bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love SB! The more whites I've explored the less I enjoy chardonay... I use to LOVE lacrema chardonay and I had some a few weeks ago and hated it :( I atribute my changes to going to to this great wine bar http://www.alamedawineco.com/index.html it's a bit further from home since we've moved (and it looks like their site is over due for an update) but well worth the drive. The owner is a character and has generously given us a regular 10% discount for being a "friend of the bar" or FOB as they say :) They offer FANTASTIC wines but at value prices.... it's amazing and unfortunelty no other place has seemed to compare.

    We are headed off to our towns 2nd annual Wine Walk this evening - should be fun, I'm bringing the camera.

    :) martine

    ReplyDelete